Wednesday, April 19, 2006

Durango


what a weekend! Well on friday afternoon I left Greeley with the UNC cycling team to make our way down to durango for a fun filled week of racing. The drive was a lot of fun for sure, unfortunatly Dana got a little sick on the way there from some leftovers he had ate. I told everyone that I threw up a lot and then I added that I was hungry too. Corey sure got a kick out of it, and probably will be a joke for awhile. We kept driving with no problem the rest of the way into Durango. On the way into Durango Corey showed us what the road race course was like. When he was showing it to us I got so scared and nervous I wasn't sure what to do. Anyway we went to sleep that night to have a 6 am wake up call because we had a TTT at 8am. We started out with Me, Albert, Eric, and Matt doing the time trial for the Men's C team. About a quarter of the way into it, Albert was not feeling very good and told us to keep going. Me, Eric, and Matt kept a very good pace throughout and I felt that we would place well, but near the end we were all pretty cashed and it sort of fell apart. I thought that we worked very well as a team for the first time doing a TTT like that. I feel that it was something to build on for next year, I feel like time trials can be my new thing.


The ITT was next and I was a little intimidated because I am not a very strong hill climber, but I believe that it will help me in the long run to compete in these invents. I ended up posting a fairly good time, and again it is something that i can build on for next year.



Next was the road race, which I could have not been more nervous about, and it was the longest race that I have ever competed in. The race consisted of lots of very large hills which amounts to about 7 or 8 hundred feet of climbing within each lap. I felt ok and stayed with the main group for one lap, but when I hit that hill the second time, I could not stick with people on the hills and that was my downfall. Anywho it was a learning experience at best and a great workout as well...i will continue later for sure

1 comment:

Corey Carlson said...

Evan,
You rode very well all weekend, you should be proud of yourself. Sorry if I scared you too bad showing you that hill, I didn't mean to shake anyone up that bad.